NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT WILL BE PROVIDED FOR THIS SETUP YET! IF FOR SOME REASON YOU ENCOUNTER ANY ISSUES DURING THE INSTALLATION OR SET UP PROCESS, HONEYGAIN SUPPORT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ASSIST YOU, UNTIL THE OFFICIAL HONEYGAIN APPLICATION FOR LINUX WILL BE MADE.
While there is no official Honeygain application for Linux yet, we had users reporting that they were able to run the Honeygain application on Linux using the WINE compatibility layer. Please note that no official support will be provided for this setup.
This guide was made using Ubuntu 20.04. If you use any other distribution, the steps might differ, but the end result will be the same.
- First of all, before starting with the installation of WINE, Winetricks, and the Honeygain application, it is a good practice to do a system update to avoid any issues during the installation
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -yYou will be asked to enter your root administrator password entering this command.
- Next, you would need to install WINE. Please go to https://wiki.winehq.org/download and select the distribution that your system runs. Since we use Ubuntu, we will select that.
- Follow the installation instructions.
- After you have installed WINE, you will need to install Winetricks. It is fairly easy to install Winetricks on Ubuntu:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install winetricks -y
Please refer to the Winetricks Github page here for more information.
- After you have successfully installed WINE and Winetricks, we will need to create a new WINE prefix:
After this command, a couple of windows might appear, saying that Wine Mono Installer and Wine Geck Installer are not installed. Click on Install and let it do its thing.
- A Wine configuration window will appear. If your screen looks something like the screenshot below, then everything is okay. Simply click on the OK button.
- Since WINE is just a compatibility layer, allowing us to natively run Windows applications on Linux operating systems, we still need to install the needed Framework for our Honeygain Windows application to work - Microsoft .NET 4.6.1 Framework. Enter the following command into your Terminal window:
- A Winetricks window will appear. Select "Select the default wineprefix".
- Choose "Install a Windows DLL or component" and click OK.
- Scroll down until you find "dotnet461" package titled "MS. NET 4.6.1". Select it and click OK
- Go through all the setup wizards, install everything that it asks you to. When it asks you to restart your device, choose "Restart later". NOTE: THIS PROCESS MIGHT TAKE UP TO 20 - 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE.
- Once the installation process is complete, head over to www.honeygain.com and download the latest version of the Windows application.
- Once you have downloaded Windows application, right-click on it, and press on "Open with Other Application". Select "Wine Windows Program Loader".
- Install our application just like any regular Windows application. After the installation, our application will open and will ask you to log in.
- That's it! You have successfully downloaded and installed the Honeygain Windows application on your Linux system.